Afrikaans Hoër Meisies Pretoria (Main School Building), 25 Bond Street, Clydesdale, Tshwane
The Afrikaans Hoёr Meisieskool Pretoria is home to approximately 900 Afrikaans-speaking school girls and is the sister school of the Afrikaans Hoёr Seunskool. The establishing and development of the school is part of the great Afrikaner history as well as the official acknowledgement of Afrikaans as an official language. The building plans of the main school building were produced by the Department of Public Works in 1924.
 Current known heritage status
Subject to Section 34 of the National Heritage Resources Act (No. 25, 1999) as the school is older than 60 years.
 Known interested and affected parties
- Students and teachers of Afrikaans Hoër Meisies Pretoria
- Pretoria Institute for Architecture
- Tshwane Building Heritage Association
- Department of Architecture, University of Pretoria
According to a publication by C. J. Langenhoven, in 1914 the need for an Afrikaans high school in Pretoria became an important issue for the community leaders, Jan Joubert and Chris Neethling. On the 4th of February 1919 a group of passionate pro-Afrikaners gathered to investigate the viability of starting an Afrikaans high school. The meeting was held in the Susanna-Hall, close to Church Square. Participating leaders included Ds. H. S. Bosman, C. Neethling, B. R. Hatting and Mr. D. P. Joubert.
On 28 January 1920, almost a year after the first meeting, 44 students (18 girls and 26 boys) and 3 teachers gathered at Genl. Piet Joubert’s house at 218 Visagie Street. This was the breakthrough Afrikaans-speaking people were waiting for. The first Afrikaans high school in Pretoria was established five years before the official acknowledgement of Afrikaans.
During the 1920s the number of scholars grew rapidly, from 44 in 1920 to 153 in 1921. A temporary building was constructed behind the Joubert-house. The structure was built of steel and wood, and was divided into three classrooms to accommodate all the new students. In 1924 parents of the pupils of the Afrikaanse Hoёrskool demanded that a new school building should be built for the high school. The Department of Education released building plans for a new school building at the premises in Bond Street, Clydesdale. In 1925, J. B. M. Hertzog laid the cornerstone on the left hand side of the entrance of the main school building. In January 1927 the Afrikaanse Hoёrskool moved from their premises in Visagie Street to the newly built school building in Bond Street.
The Hogere Oosteindschool, across from the Bond Street premises of the Afrikaanse Hoёrskool, was established in 1917 and was one of the first Dutch medium schools in Pretoria. The number of pupils at the Afrikaans school continued to increase and those of the Hogere Oosteindschool decreased, so at the end of the year in 1927 the schools were forced to swop school grounds and the Afrikaanse Hoёrskool was now on the opposite side of Jorissen Street, on the premises of The Hogere Oosteindschool. Two years later in 1929, this school building also became too small to accommodate all the pupils,and the school council decided to separate the boys and girls in order to accommodate them in two different schools. The two new schools were the first of their kind, separate schools for Afrikaans-speaking boys and girls. The Afrikaans Hoёr Meisies moved back to the original premises at Bond Street and The Afrikaans Hoёr Seunskool remained at the Hogere Oosteindschool across the street from the girls.
The Afrikaans Hoёr Seunskool kept the school colours (green, red and yellow), emblem and slogan (Laat daar lig wees, meaning "let there be light") of the original Afrikaanse Hoёrskool. The Afrikaans Hoёr Meisies had to decide on a new identity for their school. The emblem of the first ‘Afrikaanse vroueblad’ a “Boerenooientjie” became unique to the school and the uniform colours, white and blue, symbolise the blue sky of South Africa as well as the innocence of the young daughter. The poem “By die vrouebetoging”, written by Jan F. E. Celliers gave the school their appropriate and powerful slogan; Ek sien haar wen which translates to “I see her win”.
 Description of site and/or structures and/or interior spaces
The two-storey school building has a beautiful red brick facade, with one main entrance in the centre, facing north. Just above the main entrance a small veranda can be seen. Two small courtyards can be found on the eastern and western sides, surrounded by red painted hallways and classrooms. The building has four staircases with combined steel and wood balustrades, two main staircases in the middle and two smaller ones on each side of the building. There are several bathrooms for the girls as well as a library. It is important to note that all the additional buildings to the school were designed to have the same style as the main school building.
In front of the main building there are two beautiful rose-beds as well as a half-circle driveway. A small access gate from the street is situated right across the main entrance of the school. The lawns, fountain and garden beds allow the landscape to progress towards the main building facade.
Muller, H. Pretoria 1855-1955. Ex Libris.
One Hundred Years Pretoria – Eenhonderd Jare Pretoria, Published by Municipal Public Relations Bureau 611/615, Johannesburg, 1955.
Google Maps South Africa - http://maps.google.co.za/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
Afrikaans Meisies Hoёr Pretoria - http://www.ahmp.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=28