NZASM Goods Office (546 Paul Kruger Street)
The NZASM Goods Building is significant in its context, because it is the sole remaining NZASM Office Building in Pretoria. It is surrounded by other buildings which are protected by the NHRA. The building, which is approximately 112 years old, is one of the biggest examples of NZASM buildings in Pretoria. NZASM represents an important part of Pretoria’s development into a city, and is therefore a part of the city's heritage (Goedereloods, s.n., s.a.).
 Current known heritage status
The building is a Grade II Provincial Heritage Resource protected under the National Heritage Resources Act (25 of 1999).
 Possible interested and affected parties
- City of Tshwane Department of Sport, Recreation, Arts and Culture
- Pretoria Institute for Architecture
- Tshwane Building Heritage Association
- Department of Architecture, University of Pretoria
The NZASM (Nederlandsche Zuid-Afrikaansche Spoorweg-Maatschappij) railway company concentrated its development on Salvokop, and in so doing developed a hub (MMA Architects, 2002). Great importance was placed on the development of infrastructure in Pretoria, especially with the arrival of the first train on 1 January 1893 (Goedereloods, s.n., s.a.).
In circa 1896, planning started for the building of the Goods Building, in some sources also referred to as the Printing Works Building (MMA Architects, 2002).
Shortly after its completion the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) broke out during which the Goods Building was used for war related purposes.
Extending from the building's southern façade was a large wooden beam to which a pulley system was attached. This system was used to hoist goods from transportation vehicles to the attic above (Goedereloods, s.n., s.a.).
Between 1942 and 1953 the building became an administration building for the S.A.R. (South African Railways) and a portion of the ground floor became a temporary post office (Goedereloods, s.n., s.a.).
The building was built with six dormer windows, three each on the east and west façades (Goedereloods, s.n, s.a).
A hail storm in 1949 damaged the building, in particular the dormer windows. The building was however partially restored, with the exception of its dormer windows (Goedereloods, s.n., s.a.) (see image).
The building was again restored in the early sixties. However, before this it was vacant and as a result became vandalized. It was to be demolished in 1969 (Goedereloods, s.n., s.a.), but an appeal was made by the Simon van der Stel Foundation (De Jong, s.a.). The building was restored by the S.A.R. (De Jong, s.a.).
 Description of site and/or structures and/or interior spaces
The foundation is of reticulated stone which supports a squared rubble plinth. The NZASM Goods Office is a two story brick building with a basement and an attic space (De Jong, s.a). Three lucarnes (dormer windows) on both the east and west sides of the roof bring light into the double volume interior. The saddle roof is covered with S-profile corrugated iron sheets and has straight gables. The building has a verandah in front, and windows with segmented arch reveals and double-hung sash windows with wooden frames.
- MMA Architects. 2002. Salvokop Heritage Audit for Salvokop Development Framework: Project methodology document. Draft heritage impact assessment.
Goedereloodskantoor, s.a., s.n., Document lodged in the archives of the Department of Architecture, University of Pretoria.
- De Jong, R.C. [s.a.] The NZASM in and around Pretoria: a visual record.