NZASM Station Master's House, Scheiding, Paul Kruger and Railway Streets, Pretoria City Centre, Tshwane
The Station Master's House was designed as a house type during the establishment of the NZASM in 1887. This style of building became the typology for the dwellings of NZASM employees and falls into a period now termed ‘Wilhelmine’. It can be seen all along the railway line and in towns along the line as far as Komatipoort. The establishment of this housing type plays a significant role in South African political and cultural history, and when these are placed within a broader perspective of ideology, capitalist ambition and political control they become important documents in the historical record.
 Current known heritage status
The building is older than 60 years, so it is subject to Section 34 of the National Heritage Resources Act (No. 25 of 1999).
 Known interested and affected parties
- Zuid-Afrika Huis, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- South African Transport Services (SATS)
- Metro Rail Administration
- Department of Architecture, University of Pretoria
- Pretoria Institute for Architecture (PIA)
- City of Tshwane Building Heritage Association (CoTBHA)
The NZASM, ’the Nederlandsche Zuid-Afrikaansche Spoorwegg Maatskappij’ (Netherlands South African Railway Company), was founded on 21 June 1887 in Amsterdam, and the railway managed by this company was utilised in the Transvaal for a decade from 1890-1900, until the British took it over in the Anglo-Boer War.
Johannes Rienk Burg, born 6 March 1874 in Leeuwaarden, Friesland, Holland, trained as an architect at the technical college in Leeuwaarden. He emigrated to the South African Republic at the age of 21 to work for the NZASM. During this period small railway stations were built all along the Lourenco Marques railway line. It is most likely that he designed and built the Station Master's House in the same year that he came to South Africa - 1895. Afterwards, during the Anglo-Boer War, he fought for the Republic, was captured, and spent 4 years in a prison in India at Fort Abnednagar. In 1903 he returned to Pretoria and set up a practice, the same year he met Marie Stadler of Stellenbosch and got married.
In 1904 he established a partnership with J. Lockwood Hall, but they parted after nine months. In 1905 he commenced a practice on his own. He designed numerous buildings throughout Pretoria and opened an office in Johannesburg in 1925, and his career flourished. In 1936 J.R. Burg asked his son J.S. BURG and C.C. Lodge to join him in Pretoria to form the practice known as Burg, Lodge & Burg. He retired in 1946 to Somerset West, yet still opening a practice there and then retiring to Pretoria in 1945/1946, where he worked in the office until he retired again in 1957. He died in Pretoria in 1960. His son and C.C. Lodge continued with the practice. From 1951 to 1976 the firm was known as Burg, Lodge & Dogherty; between 1968 and 1996 it was known as Burg, Dogherty, Bryant and since 1997 the firm has been known as Bild Architects.
In 1981 the administrative organization of the South African Railways became known as the South African Transport Services (SATS).
 Description of site and/or structures and/or interior spaces
This type of house/structure falls into a period now known as ‘Wilhelmine’. It has a simple plan with a number of ‘stoeps’ (verandahs) around the building. These verandahs were particular to South African homes. The house is raised on a sandstone plinth. It has a steep gable/saddle roof with a timber truss system clad with corrugated metal sheeting. The front façade features a bull’s eye window. The rest of the house consists of fixed sash windows and side-hung windows with timber frames. All the doors are panel doors with about a quarter of the door (from the bottom) solid and the three quarters above that glazed. Steps and a ramp were later added to the front façade to accommodate all users. The exterior of the building is relatively neglected, and the north-western and north-eastern corners have been rebuilt, probably due to deterioration. Apart from the north-western corner all the original building material seems to be in pace. The interior of the building has been renovated; new carpets, tiles and cupboards have been installed (for the offices). It has been painted and new sanitary ware and plumbing have been installed. The original basketweave-pattern timber floors were replaced with carpets and tiles in some rooms. Additional dry-wall partitions were added to create separate office spaces.