NZASM Telegraph and Signalling Office, Thabo Sehume Street and Railway Road, Pretoria Ext 15, Tshwane
The building was constructed to serve as telegraph and signalling offices for the newly built Oosterlyn in 1899.
 Current known heritage status
The building is subject to Section 34 of the NHRA (25 of 1999) as it is older than 60 years.
 Known interested and affected parties
- Pretoria Institute fior Architecture (PIA)
- The Department of Architecture, University of Pretoria
- The City of Tshwane Heritage Resources Agency (CoTHRA)
One of the most important objectives of the Z.A.R. at the end of the 19th century was to establish a rail link with non-British controlled harbours. This was achieved by the newly constructed eastern line from Pretoria to Delagoa Bay (today Maputo) which was under Portuguese control. The concession to build the line went to the Nederlandsche Zuid-Afrikaansche Spoorweg-Maatschappij (NZASM) which was established on 21 June 1887. After several delays, work on the Oosterlyn started in 1890. The office was built to serve as the telegraph and signalling building for the extensive Eastern rail line.
 Description of site and/or structures and/or interior spaces
This large single story building is built in a square shape surrounding a courtyard (now covered). Situated a few meters from Railway Road the front of the premises is only defined by a fence and the whole building is now uncomfortably placed between the new Gautrain development and the road, a consequence of subsequent development over the years. Large double wooden doors open onto a small portico with steps leading down on both sides against the walls. These clearly served as the front door (no longer the case) and face the street. The main entrance is now to the side. The front façade contains several steel-framed windows with arched lintels. A deep overhang covers the tall windows and is supported by intricate bracing. The roof is a corrugated-iron hipped roof and excludes the overhang which is a separate structure. Foundations consist of reticulated stone. The interior has been better maintained and reflects the exterior façade, although most of the spaces have been altered to provide better office space.
De Jong, R.C., v.d. Waal, G.M., & Heyderych, D.H. 1988. ‘NZASM 100: The buildings, steam engines and structures of the Netherlands South African Railroad Company.’ Pretoria: Chris van Rensburg.
De Jong, R.C. 1985. ‘The NZASM in and around Pretoria: a visual record.’ Pretoriana, vol. 87, pp. 48-50.
De Jong, R.C. 1985. ‘Herinneringe aan die NZASM in en om Pretoria’. Pretoriana, vol. 91, pp. 8-20.