NZASM Workshop and Store, Thabo Sehume Street and Railway Road, Pretoria Ext 15, Tshwane
This building was originally erected as a workshop and store room to replace the previous corrugated iron buildings used by the old station. It is a prime example of South African station buildings in the early 20th century before British occupation and serves as a remnant of the NZASM endeavor.
 Current known heritage status
The building is subject to Section 34 of the National Heritage Resources Act (No. 25 of 1999) as it is older than 60 years.
 Known interested and affected parties
- Pretoria Institute of Architects (PIA)
- The Department of Architecture, University of Pretoria
- City of Tshwane Building Heritage Association (CoTBHA)
One of the most important objectives of the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek at the end of the 19th century was to establish a rail link with non-British controlled harbours. This was achieved by the newly constructed eastern line from Pretoria to Delagoa Bay (today Maputo) which was under Portuguese control. The commission of the building of the line went to the Nederlandsche Zuid-Afrikaansche Spoorweg-Maatschappij (NZASM) which was established on 21 June 1887. After several delays, work on the Oosterlyn started in 1890. The workshop and storeroom, by all indications, replaced corrugated iron buildings in the early 20th century and have been in use by the South African Railways ever since.
 Description of site and/or structures and/or interior spaces
Located in a complex between Railway and Thabo Sehume/Andries Streets, this large single-storey building is orientated on a north-south axis. Situated very close to Railway Street the front of the premises consists only of a paved parking lot. Two large wooden doors open directly onto this parking lot together with large wood-framed windows. One small service door, hidden behind a stepped corner pilaster, opens up to the southern side. Two small straight-gabled dormer windows open towards the street side. The roof of the main street-side structure consists of a corrugated-iron gabled roof and a lower corrugated-iron hipped-roof structure folding around the back. Foundations consist of reticulated stone in mortar, and at the back small wooden doors lead directly to the basement. The rest of the compound consists of a collection of separate buildings.
DE JONG, R.C., V.D. WAAL, G.M., & HEYDENRYCH, D.H. 1988. NZASM 100: The buildings, steam engines and structures of the Netherlands South African Railroad Company. Pretoria: Chris van Rensburg Publications.
LE ROUX, S. & BOTES, N. (eds.) 1993. Plekke en geboue van Pretoria, vol. 1. Pretoria: Stadsraad van Pretoria.
DE JONG, R.C. 1985. The NZASM in and around Pretoria: a visual record. Pretoriana, vol. 87, pp. 48-50.
DE JONG, R.C. 1985. Herinneringe aan die NZASM in en om Pretoria. Pretoriana, vol. 91, pp. 8-20.