Z*% Artillery Barracks (Paul Kruger Building), SA Army Headquarters, Potgieter Street, Pretoria, Gauteng
|Google maps will be placed here|
The barracks or as it is more commonly known, the Paul Kruger Building was constructed to house the troops of the Transvaal state artillery. The plans were drawn up by the Department Of Public Works in February 1896
Current known heritage status
The barracks is a South African heritage monument (HRA). All these buildings are classified as heritage structures and great care has been taken to take care of them and keep them in acceptable conditions. It is the responsibility of the South African military to maintain and restore these structures to their original beauty and importance.
Possible interested and affected parties
South African Army. Department of Public Works, Franco Italian Company.
The barracks or as it is more commonly known, the Paul Kruger Building was constructed to house the troops of the Transvaal state artillery. The plans were drawn up by the Department Of Public Works in February 1896.
After the construction of the barracks it has changed a roles a few times. Its first occupation was when Britain occupied Pretoria on the 5th of June 1900, where the artillery precinct became the headquarters of the British South African command. (During this period it was transformed from a barracks to a headquarters).
The second occupation was by the UDF on the 1st October 1914 when the British South Africa Command withdrew from the headquarters.
In an effort to centralize the command of the UDF the active citizen force was moved from Paul Kruger Street to Potgieter Street.
In 1927 the general building was built forever defacing the barracks. It was named the Paul Kruger building in honour of the late president Paul Kruger
And when the Republic of South Africa was established on the 31 May 1961 it still continued with its function as defence headquarters until 1992.
When the decision was made to relocate the South African defence force headquarters to the ARMSCOR building in 1992, the South African military took control of the Paul Kruger building and the artillery precinct.
It still functions as the head of the South African military headquarters today
Description of site and/or structures and/or interior spaces
Before the construction of the new barracks the commandant was informed about the site and that an existing building was to be demolished before construction of the new barracks could commence. The newly appointed contractor was given 18 months for the construction of the barracks
ON the 21st July 1896 the contractor asked permission to erect temporary shelter and structures to house the workers the workers and implementation used to construct the new barracks. Tram tracks were also installed for the transportation of the stone and brickwork.
The Barracks was designed to house 400 troops in 16 dormitories which would each be able to accommodate 25 men each. Rooms for non-commissioned officers and personnel were also commissioned.
It was planned that the front façade of the barracks would be 315ft long while the sides would be 106ft wide consisting of two sections, each having two stories and a loft area. The highest part of the building is the prominent clock tower which stands 82ft above the ground. It was constructed in the front area of the façade of the barracks.
Other specifications indicated where the barracks should be constructed.”dat het hart van het gebouw komt te liggen in de hartlijn van het daararcher gelegen drillplein (Zjinde het hart van Scheindingstraat), en met de achtergevel 200 voet uit de verlegende hartlijn der parkstraat.”
Designers of the barracks took into consideration the fire hazard as well as hygiene and cleanliness. Because of this stone and iron where used in the construction of stairs floors and beams.
Jay, Robin. The South Africa Army Headqaurters. Draft, 2010
SA Army. 10 12 2010. http://www.army.mil.za/aboutus/history.htm (accessed 07 07 ,2012)